- 4 large Maris Piper potatoes
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425°. Poke potatoes all over with a fork; rub with oil. Bake directly on oven rack until very soft when squeezed and skins are crisp, 50–60 minutes. Let cool just until you can hold them.
- Using a serrated knife, slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop flesh into a medium bowl. Add sour cream, butter, chives, and tarragon (if desired); season generously with salt and pepper.
- Divide among 4 potato skin halves, piling gloriously high—don’t pack too tightly. (And what about the leftover skins? We say add butter and salt and snack on them.)
- Increase oven temperature to 450°. Bake potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet until filling is puffed and browned in spots, 20–25 minutes.