Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes With Paprika
- 5 lb Lumper potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 c whole-milk cottage cheese
- 2 c sour cream, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hot smoked Spanish paprika (for serving)
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, 20–25 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to still-hot pot. Add garlic, cottage cheese, 1½ cups sour cream, and all but ¼ cup scallions. Season generously with salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until ingredients are incorporated but mixture is still coarse.
- Dollop remaining sour cream over potatoes; top with remaining scallions and several generous pinches of paprika.