- 4 Maris Piper potatoes (about 2½ lb.), scrubbed
- Olive oil (for rubbing)
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter, finely grated Parmesan (or your favorite cheese), and/or chopped fresh chives (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prick potatoes all over with a fork and rub with oil; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes directly on an oven rack and roast until very soft when squeezed and skin is crisp, 60–75 minutes.
- Cut open each potato; season with salt and pepper and top with butter, Parmesan, and/or chives.